Parry Sound Municipalities
The Township of the Archipelago was incorporated in 1980 and serves the ratepayers in two wards along the east coast of Georgian Bay. Home to the Massasauga Provincial Park in the south, and Sturgeon Bay Provincial Park in the Pointe au Baril area, the municipality also includes a number of inland lakes, including Blackstone, Crane, Healey, and Naiscoot.
Carling Township is a small rural municipality located just north of Parry Sound. Comprised of a mix of year-round and seasonal residents, it has some of the most beautiful areas of Georgian Bay shoreline anywhere. It is also a popular tourist destination with a number of popular resorts, restaurants, marinas, and parks, to meet all needs. Killbear Provincial Park is located in Carling Township and is one of the most popular recreational areas in Parry Sound district.
The Municipality of Magnetwan was created in 1997 with the amalgamation of the Township of Chapman, the Township of Croft, and the Township of Spence. Within its borders are the historic Villagesof Magnetawan and Ahmic Harbour. Ahmic Lake and Cecebe Lake are connected by locks in Magnetawan, providing the largest inland waterway in the Parry Sound area.
The Municipality of McDougall is originally incorporated on May 1, 1872, and is located immediately to the north and east of the Town of Parry Sound.
The community of Nobel is the largest village the municipality, with smaller communities located at Hurdville, Waubamik and Taylor Subdivision (Badgers Corners). A majority of the land base in the municipality is rural with extensive shoreline on Georgian Bay and even some agricultural land in the Hurdville area. McDougall also contains a number of inland lakes, including Mill Lake, Harris Lake and Long Lake.
McKellar Township was incorporated in the spring of 1873 under a special act of the Ontario. Rural in nature, the township still has a number of farms within its boundaries, especially in the areas around Lake Manitouwabing and the Manitouwabing River.
The Township of Seguin was created on January 1st, 1998, with the amalgamation of the former Townships of Christie, Foley and Humphrey, and the Village of Rosseau, as well as an annexation of a portion of the unorganized Township of Monteith.
The first municipality in Northern Ontario in along the Highway 400 corridor, Seguin has several villages located within its borders, including Horseshoe Lake, Humphrey, Orrville and Rosseau. It is also home to a multitude of lakes, including Otter Lake, Whitefish Lake, Star Lake, and the north ends of both Lake Rosseau and Lake Joseph.
Town of Parry Sound
Parry Sound is the largest town on the east shore of Georgian Bay and the lagest town in the District of Parry Sound.
Whitestone Township was incorporated in 2000, with the amalgamation the townships of East Burpee, Burton, McKenzie, Ferrie, Hagerman, and part of Croft. Lake Wahwashkesh is located within the township, as are Whitestone Lake and a large section of the Magnetawan River. In addition, the township also includes the small communities of Ardbeg, Dunchurch, Maple Island, and the village of Whitestone.